Combination Block

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Joanna Newsom and Van Dyke Parks!!



Pitchfork reports that Joanna Newsom will record her next album with child actor turned musical genius Van Dyke Parks! This is about the most exciting news I've heard in at least 6 days. But then again, I'm easily excited.

Anyway, I'm posting 3 new Joanna Newsom songs, so you can wait with baited breath.

I'm also posting 2 Van Dyke Parks songs off of his brilliant Song Cycle album.

Listen to all five songs and try to divine what this pairing will sound like...

Also, head over to Milky Moon to hear more new/unreleased Joanna, and also a couple of pretty cool covers.

Joanna Newsom - Be A Woman
Joanna Newsom - Sawdust and Diamonds
Joanna Newsom - Suite of New Songs
Van Dyke Parks - Vine Street
Van Dyke Parks - Attic

If the Van Dyke Parks tracks don't work, email me at nnck@cox.net -- I'm sort of new to this whole thing and am still trying to figure it all out.

Happy Sunday.

6 Comments:

  • I know! This is going to be fantastic!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:06 AM  

  • Joanna Newsom is awful. No one can possibly like her music, and if someone says so, they are lying. Emperor's new clothes anyone?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:49 PM  

  • Sure. Anything out of the ordinary and it automatically sucks, right? You know, there were riots after Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring." Was it because it sucked? Or did it perhaps force the cultural lowest common denominator to go too far, too fast?

    By Blogger upfreak, at 9:46 AM  

  • If anyone ever says "no one can possibly like x, they are lying" they are lying. This type of presumption of knowledge, and aesthetic authority is awful. But not half as awful as Joanna Newsom, who has not a single true fan since it is scientifically impossible. Emperor's new... OH SO CLEVER, AND SELF CONGRATULATINGLY SO. I CAN JUST SEE THE WISDOM BURNING IN YOUR SKULL LOVING ITSELF SO TRULY, SO MUCH DEEPER THAN EVER I DID LOVE A JOANNA NEWSOM SONG. You. My. FRiend. Are. Eternally. Correct. I. Am. FALSE.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM  

  • Song Cycle is stupid-sounding and awful. That is all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 PM  

  • Wow, Anonymous, you are quite ignorant and judgmental. You are presumptuous to believe you are an arbiter of style and taste. Some people really like Rod Stewart; I do not understand that, but I am not going to judge their taste just because it is not my cup of tea. It seems like you think people who like Joanna Newsom are pretentious and are just jumping on a bandwagon in an attempt to be hip and cool. Maybe you feel inferior and intimidated by what you may deem the "cool people/ hipsters" so you just put them down. Are you in elementary school? If so, then there is a lot of time for your own personal. If you are no longer in school, then please try meditation. I hope that helps you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home